Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My Foray Into a Beef-Free Life

I decided a few weeks ago, when I went to the state fair actually, to stop eating beef and pork. My reasons aren't super complex. 1) If I think about it at all, eating part of a cow seems a bit gross. 2) My doctor says my cholesterol levels are too high, and I'm think of myself as too young to have that problem. I have a family history of heart problems, too. 3) My 22 month old daughter won't eat meat at all, so if I can just cook one meal for all of us that would be a lot easier.
So far things have been going pretty well with this new lifestyle. I had one set back initially when my dad made meatloaf, which I love. But I'm back on track and haven't had beef or pork in a little over two weeks. The problem is that, instead of eating more vegetables and other healthier food, I've been having cereal more often. I had Corn Flakes for dinner tonight. Not exactly the healthier lifestyle I was looking for. So.... If anyone has a favorite vegetarian recipe to share, I would love to have you post it.

3 comments:

Joyce Engberg said...

Mrs. Buckner,
One of the best books I have read on dealing with high cholesterol is by Dr. Diana Schwartzbein, M.D. It is modern and revolutionary, but has worked for several of my family members. I can loan you a copy if you are interested.
- Mrs. Engberg

ChloƩ said...

Mrs. Buckner-
I totally know where your coming from with the whole meat deal because I am not a fan of meat either. I have a cook book full of recipe's for meals without meat. If you are interested I could loan it to you =]

-Chloe

Joyce White said...

See Kayla's 7-Layer dip!